Sunday, September 11, 2011

What are the Verses of Life?

In Urdu, the national language of Pakistan, Verses of Life would be spoken "Zindagi ke Ayaatein." Zindangi means life, Ayaatein is the plural of Ayat, or verse. [[I am not a fluent speaker, so do not assume everything I tell you is exactly accurate.]] Ayat is also an Arabic word. When speaking of "ayat," it is usually being referred to a line of the book of Islam, the Holy Quran.

I found out today what the literal translation of ayat is. It blew my mind. It was bewildering yet made so much sense at the same time.
For me, the verses of life are the lines from the Holy Quran. The Holy Quran is [[a description of]] an exact way of life, the extremely detailed and clear poetic verses in it are extraordinarily beautiful, soothing, surprising, colorful, reassuring, and everything in between. To me, the verses of life include struggle, gratitude, and search of peace. Who is writing those verses? Well, obviously, you. The choices you make are being written in this massive book in which there is a score for the good and bad deeds you do. That book belongs to God. The verses of life [[the Holy Quran]] tells me that there is only One God who is so powerful, loving, and forgiving, and that the seal of the prophets was Muhammad, peace be upon him.

I research much about my religion. One day, I came to know that God forgives absolutely any and all sins, even the biggest sin of all - not believing in or associating/partnering God with another [[fake]] deity - if you just repent. That's all you have to do.
Ask for forgiveness and mean it.
Tears came to my eyes. We humans are not worthy. Of anything. My mom told me God is even more mericiful in the Afterlife than while we are living.Why would you not want to believe in the God who forgives anything for which you are sorry for?
So then, what is the literal translation of ayat?

Ayat means
Miracle.

--Aysha <3

1 comment:

  1. Aysha, this is great! I love the way you used the word "ayat" to explain and relate so many different ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts